[General boards] [Fall 2018 courses] [Summer 2018 courses] [Winter 2018 courses] [Older or newer terms]

When we consider TCP/UDP, do we also add other things such as DNS?

For example, when getting for specifically the protocol of UDP, you exclude things such as DNS or LLC- which can be considered UDP.

For TCP, protocols such as ICMP or NBSS can also count.

So my question is, do we remove these results or do we account for them?

Note that DNS is not a transport layer protocol. DNS is an application layer protocol that is running on top of UDP.
ICMP is also not something that is sent inside a TCP packet. Furthermore, ICMP should be beside IPv4 and IPv6 as network layer, because although it is inside an IP packet, it is not a transport layer protocol.

How would ESP be counted? I’m guessing that since it’s part of IPsec, we would not count this as part of IPv4 (and would instead count this as part of “other”)?

In general, I’ve found 25+ different protocols that are not explicitly UDP or TCP…

To break down IP packets, have a TCP class, an UDP class, and another “other” class for everything else.

do you want us to have multiple tables breaking down the packets of each layer. I only have one table breaking down the count, # of bytes and % of packets in each layer. My “other” row considers all packets that are not the main packets we studied in class, as you mentioned in a similar thread.

Then one table is enough. The other in each category includes everything else in that layer.

I don’t have “Other” for each layer but just one for everything that isn’t the main packets we studied. I only list the layers and the total count, # of bytes and % of packets for that layer as a whole without any further breakdown of what constitutes that data. Is this ok?