[General boards] [Fall 2018 courses] [Summer 2018 courses] [Winter 2018 courses] [Older or newer terms]

A bit confused with the final question of the first test

This is the answer to the final question.
Where is that “Let …” sentence coming from? I never see this syntax in a formal proof in the book or the lecture. (I haven’t read all the parts of the solution though)
I suppose I should write a formal proof and it should be proving
(All the comma here should be a dot)

While instead, the answer has two free variables here. The reason I think the proof in the solution cannot be used to prove the sentence above with quantifier is that as far as I know we have never been introduced some rules like below:

The only way to introduce the universal quantifier is at the back of the book.

The English sentence “Let …” is not part of the formal proof. The way to say that formally is the first line of the formal proof. The first two conjuncts
0: nat ∧ (∀m: nat· 0≤m)
say that 0 is a smallest natural number, and the next two conjuncts say that ∅ is a smallest natural number. From that line we conclude on the last line that 0=∅ .

So in the formal proof part, phi is a very specific natural number right? In other words, the proof is only talking about a specific element [with the property that it is not greater than any natural number] and the proof doesn’t talk about any other element [that is not greater than any natural number], right?

So in the formal proof part, phi is a very specific natural number right?

Right.

In other words, the proof is only talking about a specific element [with the property that it is not greater than any natural number] and the proof doesn’t talk about any other element [that is not greater than any natural number], right?

The proof talks about 0 and ∅, each of which is not greater than any natural number. It concludes that 0=∅.

Ah, I think I have just understood the reason for your question. You are considering ∅ to be a variable, but 0 to be a constant. Now I think I want to change my answer as follows.
§ Let a and b be smallest natural numbers.
a: nat ∧ (∀m: nat· a ≤ m) ∧ b: nat ∧ (∀m: nat· b ≤ m)
Specialize the first ∀ with b for m and specialize the last ∀ with a for m .
⇒ a ≤ b ∧ b ≤ a Now, from a generic law (antisymmetry) we have
⇒ a = b
Now it is clearer that the proof is talking about both a and b, the nonlocal variables of the proof. Thank you for your question.

“Prove that there are not two different natural numbers that are tied for smallest.”
This is the final question of the test.

My question is that I should prove image
while in the formal proof you just gave,
I think you can only prove the version without universal quantification, i.e.,
“a: nat ∧ (∀m: nat· a ≤ m) ∧ b: nat ∧ (∀m: nat· b ≤ m) ⇒ a=b”
This version doesn’t have universal quantification.

t.pdf (43.0 KB)